The University of Arizona logo

Student Worker Job Classifications and Pay

Policy Information

PDF version
Effective Date: 
August 25, 2017
Policy Number: 
SEM 102.0
Responsible Unit: 
Human Resources

Purpose and Summary

The purpose of this policy is to help departments determine the appropriate classification and rate of pay for student worker positions.


This policy applies to workers in Student Groups B, C, and D, resident hall assistants, student journalists, and student advertising representatives. Requirements specific to Graduate Assistants/Associates (GA) can be found in the GA Manual.


Job Classifications

Departments are responsible for assigning student worker positions to the appropriate Student Group classifications as described below. Federal Work-Study (FWS) eligible students are also placed in these Student Group classifications. Specialized training, certifications, or pre-employment background checks may be required based on the duties of the position.

Student Group B: Undergraduate and graduate students may be hired into Student Group B. Experience required for these positions can range from little or no previous training or work experience to one to two years of college or one to two years of comparable experience, preferably in a specific area of study. Work is performed under close to general supervision. Student Group B workers may lead other student workers. This category may not be used for students performing research or instructional duties normally associated with a graduate assistant/associate position.

Student Group C: Qualified upper-level undergraduate or graduate students may be hired into Student Group C. Positions require extensive training or experience and advanced knowledge at the upper undergraduate or master’s level, or three to four years of comparable experience. Work is performed under general direction; requires considerable knowledge of a discipline; and entails exercising independent judgment and decision making in the development of new procedures, techniques, systems, or equipment. Licensing or certification by a state agency may be required. Generally, these positions involve supervision of other student workers. This category may not be used for students performing research or instructional duties normally associated with a graduate assistant/associate position.

Student Group D: Student Group D is applicable to graduate students who perform work similar to a graduate assistant/associate position but do not hold a graduate assistant/associate position because they will be completing their graduate degree mid-semester and leaving the University. Required experience and qualifications are comparable to graduate assistant/associate positions. This category may not be used if the student is not leaving the University mid-semester or will be continuing their studies in the subsequent semester.

Student Residence Hall Assistants: Student Residence Hall Assistants reside in a University residence hall where they work with other residence hall staff to promote a socially, culturally, and educationally enriching experience for students living in residence halls. Student Residence Hall Assistants receive room and board expenses rather than hourly pay. Contact Residence Life for more information.

Student Journalists: These students serve as reporters, photographers and copy editors for Arizona Student Media. These students are generally paid on a per-piece rate. Contact Arizona Student Media for more information.

Student Advertising Representatives: These students prospect, sell, maintain, and service display advertising accounts for Arizona Student Media. They are paid a base salary plus a productivity-based commission. These unique positions are exempt from the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Contact Arizona Student Media for more information.


Pay Ranges: There are three pay ranges for student workers, corresponding to Student Groups B, C, and D. The pay rate for a student worker must be at least the minimum of the pay range for the assigned Student Group classification and commensurate with duties performed. All student worker positions are subject to available funds. Current pay ranges and job codes are found in "Related Information" below.

Motor Vehicle Usage

Student workers who will operate any vehicle on University business are subject to the Fleet Safety Policy and must meet minimum driver qualification requirements as outlined in the Policy and be authorized to drive on University business. All student workers who drive on University business must register with Risk Management Services (RMS), have a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle driven, and have a satisfactory motor vehicle record.

Departments are responsible to ensure that student workers who are required to drive on University business complete the driver’s registration process with RMS and any required driver training before authorizing them to drive. Contact Risk Management Services for more information and driver’s registration.

Related Information*

Pay Ranges (Effective 7/1/2023)

Student Group Job Code Pay Range
Student Group B 120473 $14.50 to $15.50
Student Group C 120474 $14.50 to $22.50
Student Group D 120475 $14.50 to $28.00

Driver Registration

Fleet Safety

GA Manual

High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Training

Revision History*

12/01/2023: Updated responsible unit email address.

06/15/2023: Minimum compensation range for Student Group B, C, and D revised from $13.85 to $14.50 (effective 7/1/2023).

01/17/2023: Minimum compensation range for Student Group B, C, and D revised from $13.00 to $13.85 (effective 1/1/2023).

03/21/2022: Minimum compensation range revised from $12.80 to $13.00 (effective 1/1/2022).

01/01/2022: Minimum compensation range revised from $12.15 to $12.80.

01/01/2013: The former Student Group A was retired.  

* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Sources, Related Information, and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.

Feedback for this Policy

We want to respond to your policy inquiries as quickly and efficiently as possible.

For questions or comments regarding a particular policy or to notify us of broken links or typographical errors, please provide this information below.

Please Note:

Policy feedback is available to the Policy Office, Policy Sponsor, and elected shared governance representatives, upon request, for policies impacting the populations they represent.

To prevent automated spam submissions, please answer the challenge below.
1 + 1 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.