Antennas continue to appear in increasing numbers all over the University campus. In the absence of reasonable controls, unregulated installation of antennas in a multitude of different sizes, shapes, and purposes may interfere with existing communications systems and result in an unsightly campus environment. In our continuing efforts to develop and maintain an attractive campus, it has become necessary to implement antenna guidelines and establish a standard review and approval process.
"Temporary" as well as permanent antennas fall within the provisions of this policy.
Requests for the design, fabrication, and installation of antennas on campus should conform to the following process:
- Requests should be made in writing to the appropriate co-chair of the Space Committee. Requests from support service units should be sent to the Senior Vice President for Business Affairs. Academic units should send their requests to the Provost & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. Sufficient information should accompany the request to permit an informed review and evaluation. A dimension sketch, summary data sheet, proposed location, and any other information that might be helpful (e.g., catalog cut, pictures, etc.) should accompany the request. In addition, information on frequency of maintenance and access requirements should be included.
- Requests for transmitting-type antennas must include proof of compliance with Federal Communications Commission license requirements.
- Once the request for the antenna has been approved by the Space Committee, the fabrication and installation shall meet University construction standards. Broadcast-type systems (AM, FM, TV) shall be coordinated with KUAT Engineering and Facilities Management. All other systems shall be coordinated with University Telecommunications and Facilities Management.
- All costs associated with the antenna's fabrication, installation, and maintenance (if required), is the responsibility of the requesting unit.
- The office of the Assistant Vice President for Facilities Management has the responsibility for approving the installation procedure of antennas.
- Facilities Management will identify non-conforming antennas, and the owning unit will be notified and asked to remove them.