A Personal Leave of Absence without pay is a discretionary leave and may be granted for a period up to one (1) calendar year, at the discretion of the employee's responsible administrator. Personal reasons include, but are not limited to, enrollment in educational coursework relating to the employee's position, temporary relocation of spouse, or family emergency. If the employee is eligible for Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave, FMLA would take precedence. The approval of personal leave shall largely depend upon the circumstances, specialization, or critical nature of the employee's position, as well as the practicality of replacing the employee for a temporary period. Assurance of the return of the Classified Staff employee to University employment is required if such a leave is to be granted. Approval of a request for Personal Leave of Absence constitutes an agreement by the employee's department to return the employee to his or her job classification or to a comparable position at a pay rate not less than the former rate, contingent upon the availability of funds.
A Regular Classified Staff employee who meets each of the following conditions shall be eligible to request a Personal Leave of Absence:
- The employee has satisfactorily completed the initial six (6) month probationary period.
- The employee has exhausted all accrued vacation time, and sick time if applicable, prior to the commencement of the planned Personal Leave of Absence.
- Assurance of the employee's intent to return to University employment at the expiration of the Personal Leave of Absence.
- The employee gives assurance that the Personal Leave of Absence is not being requested for the purpose of obtaining employment outside the University.
- The responsible administrator approves the employee's request for Personal Leave of Absence.
Continuous University service shall not accrue during a period of Personal Leave of Absence.
A Regular Classified Staff employee who is on an approved Personal Leave of Absence and who wishes to retain existing insurance benefits coverage shall make arrangements with the Division of Human Resources prior to commencement of the leave to pay the employee premiums for such coverage.
Vacation and paid sick time hours shall not accrue during the period of unpaid Personal Leave of Absence.